Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Scooby Diver

The Boy and I stopped by a sporting goods store last Saturday to pick up some shin guards for his first year of soccer. While waiting in the checkout line he noticed a manequin dressed in a wet suit, googles, flippers and an air tank.

"Look at that, daddy."

"Oh, yeah," I said, "That's a scuba diver."

"A scooby diver?"

"No, a scuba diver. They swim in the ocean and look at fish."

There was a pause and then he said with certainty, "They're mean."

"Huh?" I queried.

"Scuba divers. They're mean," he elaborated.

I was befuddled. Other than the black wetsuit and googles I couldn't imagine what prompted that. "No, scuba divers aren't mean."

"Yes they are," he said before looking at me out of the corner of his eye and adding, with a withering scepticism, "I saw Finding Nemo."

I had no response for that.

No comments: