Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Accidental Hipster

Suddenly, I am hip. That belly I've developed ever since 40, and over which I have fretted ocassionally, is suddenly the "in thing."

The New York Times reports that the belly is now the newest expression of male coolness. Termed the "Ralph Kramden", the protrouding abdomen is all the rage in New York's hippest neighborhoods. Contrarian though it may be, guts are all the rage.

“I sort of think the six-pack abs obsession got so prissy it stopped being masculine.”

All you six-pack abbers and gym rats out there, you're suddenly out of favor.

...hypertrophied He-Men with grapefruit biceps and blister-pack abs have come to resemble specimens from a diorama of “A Vanished World.”

“When do you ever see that guy, anyway?” Mr. Morea asked, referring to those legendary Men’s Health cover models, with their rippling torsos and famished smiles. “The only time you really see that guy, he’s standing in front of an Abercrombie & Fitch store.” Perhaps, he suggested, there is really only one of them. “It’s the same guy. They just move him around.”


And to think I was worried I would never see hipness again (even if it's a little hard sometimes to see my knees.)

1 comment:

Baywatch said...

i always seem to miss the curve.