Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Jurist Imprudence

From the time I first registered to vote one of the things I most looked forward to, other than voting, was jury duty. Forget the boredom, the crap, the inconvenience. I liked the idea of participating. My ego allowed me the luxury of imagining myself utterly fair and impartial; the perfect juror. Over the span of close to three decades I waited for that call to service; the opportunity to judge my neighbor. It never came and I was left wondering how friggin random the process really was.

Then last year the mail brought the letter. I was to be at the courthouse at a specific hour on a specific day. I should have rejoiced; instead I bitched. I was raising a little boy not quite two and I did not intend, let alone have the ability, to unload that burden. My wife took that day off so that I could tell it to da judge. Called into the box for voir dire I told the man in the robe of my predicament, answered a few questions and was sent packing. Why couldn't they have called me when I was free and single and loved the idea of blowing off work for a couple of days?

A couple of weeks back my wife spent the day doing the same thing. She escaped what promised to be a two week trial through the breastfeeding loophole and a prepaid vacation to Disneyland. Bye, bye.

Saturday brought another notice for me. I am to appear on May 19 in the same courthouse. I now have two toddlers to oversee. I will have to beg the court's indulgence. I shall peer for no one, again. I have this feeling that once my children are finally in school, my days relatively free for such citizenry, I will never hear from the justice system again.

If I were on trial I would not want the people determining my fate to be chosen from a shallow pool of retirees, slackers and bitter victims who couldn't nail down a decent excuse. I don't have a solution for this, but isn't there a better way?

5 comments:

Bluestem said...

Even if you were to serve, the chances are slim you'd be on a jury. I've gone several times (all pre-kids) and never made it all the way to the Final 12. The whole thing is a rip-off.

Well, except my hub got to do an accidental shooting one, wrapped up in a divorce case and family brouhaha. He gets all the fun.

Hipster Pit said...

I was on a murder trial. It was an amazing insight into the justice system.

I actually have lots of stories/should blog.

The judge fell asleep several times during the trial.

We had a former state's attorney on our jury. She pointed out -- well, it's not him that decides this trial. It's us.

Was actually super chilling. Do it, it's the right thing to do, and ultimately, you'll be glad you did.

The guy went to prison for life. After we convicted him.

He was guilty as hell, tho.

Steve said...

As always, the solution is robots. Has Galactica taught you nothing?

arlopop said...

Galactica's single lesson regarding justice is that all crimes are best punished by the airlock.

Steve said...

Robotic judges. Robotic juries. Robotic executioners.

Cylon justice involves computer viruses and nuclear weaponary.