Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Old Mouse House

In anticipation of our Mouse House trip this week, I've been doing some prep work that keeps me from doing real prep work. I've been seeking out old home movies of other people's Disney vacations. Corny, but it beats packing. Weirdly enough, today Daddytypes posted a link from boingboing that was exactly what I was looking for.

Robbins Barstow and family won a scotch tape contest in 1956 and the prize was a trip to the newly opened Magic Kingdom. He made a home movie of it that's goofy, dad-dumb, and really kind of charming. It's half an hour long, but the nostalgia and sweetness of it is quite affecting. Maybe my cynicism about this trip should be lightened a bit. You'll have to follow the link as it won't embed.

In the meantime, here's some footage from the 60's/70's that isn't quite as charming.

No comments: