Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Obamacons

It started in February with Susan Eisenhower, the granddaughter of the late President, Dwight Eisenhower. Others have followed: Andrew Sullivan, Daniel Larison and this week Christopher Buckley the son of National Review founder, William Buckley. The former publisher of the National Review, Wick Allison, came out last month with an unreserved endorsement of Obama.

And now this, from the three children of Barry Goldwater's Vice Presidential running mate, Bill Miller, in response to Wick Allison's endorsement:

Your article endorsing Obama found its way to my computer, Wick... and I wanted you to know you have a VERY strong "thumbs up" from three folks you might least expect: my two sisters and me. We are the daughters of Bill Miller who ran for Vice President with Barry Goldwater back in '64. We have all morphed quite independently into feeling, as you do, that the Republican Party in general and George Bush in particular do not represent in any fashion what our dad stood for more than 40 years ago. In fact, we are all HUGE Obama Mamas! I live with my family in Salisbury, NC... my older sister Libby Miller Fitzgerald is in Lynchburg, VA... and our youngest sister Stephanie Miller is in LA where she has a nationally syndicated radio talk show and is seen regularly on Larry King and other TV shows. Thank you for your wise words. I hope there are enough others like you to put Obama over the top. Or we're headed overseas to live!
Mary Miller James


The original Republicans - the true conservatives of the Goldwater era - can see what has happened to this country. They can see that the Republican Party of today is profligate in spending and utterly reckless as regards civil liberties, or discourse for that matter. They see in Obama wisdom, intelligence, focus, and understanding. They see the qualities required in a President. They get it. As do others that responded to Mr. Allison:

I am a former communications director for the Massachusetts Republican Party and chief speechwriter to former Governor Paul Cellucci… I have been alarmed at the irrationality of our party…The founders hoped to create a system that would be deliberative in nature, screening out the lock-step, rote ideological thinking that seems to dominate the GOP today …Unlike any public figure I have seen in a long time, Obama does justice to his opponents arguments… I believe his desire for bi-partisanship is genuine, and I am glad that you agree.
Ted Frier

Brilliant. Beautiful. Perfect. Made me remember why I used to vote Republican.
Keith Nolan

You remind me of a different time, when being a conservative actually meant that you had conservative values… a time when it was actually possible to "agree to disagree" instead of flinging spite and vitriol and baseless accusations of anti-patriotism at anyone who disagreed with you.
David Hendrickson

As a registered Republican who has always voted republican but will be voting for Obama this election, you have perfectly encapsulated my exact thoughts…I just hope that others will join you and look at the issues rather than the party that endorses the candidate.
Jeremy Hunt

…Somebody was finally able to put into words why every intelligent conservative Republican can find very little to agree with when it comes to McCain/Bush and why Barack Obama makes so much more sense. I am a moderate Republican from Kansas, my entire family is Republican, and we recognize nothing Republican in McCain. Obama's our man.

I too voted for Goldwater many years ago but am today a supporter of Obama not because of the policies he proposes to try to get elected but because I believe he is a thoughtful, prudent man who will not rush into any difficulties that truly make the world for everyone unsafe.
Mary Haak

I have been a conservative all of my adult life but I have a feeling about Obama very much like yours. Very good piece.
Carroll Shelton.DDS

Barack Obama may not propose what looks like a straight-conservative platform. But neither does the Republican Party of late. The difference is that Barack Obama is not campaigning as a "straight Republican", and John McCain is. And by today's changing standards, the young "liberal" who went to Washington to invoke Change is looking more conservative by the minute.
Joan S.

My father was a Nixon Republican; a WWII Glider Pilot who taught his 11 children the value of a hard day's work. I think he would agree with you… instincts tell me Sen. Obama is the right person at the right time for the country.
Chris Lopez

I have been increasingly dismayed at the state of our government and its decisions in the name of conservatism… John McCain simply wishes to continue down this misguided path. He was my candidate in the primary as well, but I just don't recognize him any more…At least in Obama, I do find a pragmatism that will serve us well.
Brenda Crow


And finally:

You listed the exact reasons that have me voting for a democrat for the first time since I was able to vote. I have now gone from Reagan to Obama.
Robert

No comments: