Sunday, March 23, 2008

Birth And Resurrection

I began writing a post for today that was long, involved and revolved around the birth of our son and how we nearly lost him. But I'll save that for another day; there are readers who are expecting their first and don't need horror stories and I don't want to deflect attention away from what this really is about.

All apologies to my wife, but my children are everything to me. I do not choose to love them any more then I could choose to stop; it is primal, basic and biological. I never understood what real, unconditional, all-will-always-be-forgiven, would-give-up-my-life-for-you, love was until I saw my son. It was entirely unexpected and profoundly unsettling. Ounce for ounce, he's provided more enlightenment, revelation and soulful resurrection than any of the books I've ever cherished, or anything else celebrated this day.

That happened three years ago today. Happy Birthday, my boy. You are a wonder, sure, sure.

2 comments:

lendos_girl said...

Hey little man, Mama here. Happy birthday to the strangest, funniest, and most beautiful little boy that walks the earth.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday - You are the light of my life and I will never forget the 1st time I saw you. You bring me such joy when I see you.
Enjoy the horse -
Love & kisses always
Your Grandma