Friday, March 21, 2008

Well Wishers

When I sought medical assistance for my "cough", I wasn't able to get in to see my doc - he was booked and couldn't work me in - so I went to the Urgent Care Center of the Hospital, one step below the ER. It's the kind of place you go when you can't get in to see your own doctor, but you don't rate CPR. Anyway, they're friendly and efficient and got me out of there for a minimum of fuss. I had to take the Boy there once on Sunday when he had an infected nail that looked like it would be much worse come Monday and they were just as efficient.

Today, in the mail, I get a Get Well Card from them. Not just pre-printed mind you, but hand signed by the staff and with handwritten little note hoping I was feeling better and that my "cough" was gone. Yeah, that "cough" you all diagnosed four days ago as pneumonia and bronchitis and from which you said I shouldn't expect to fully recover for four to six weeks? That cough? It was weird. Not just because I don't know these people, but because... well... I don't know these people. I have this image of a unit secretary filling out cards at the end of the day and handing them out to sign. "Hope your broken leg is feeling better." "Hope that rash has cleared up." "Hope it's stopped hurting when you pee."

I asked my wife if this is a new hospital policy for every patient because honestly I would prefer that they take care of the sick and not worry about having to sign get well cards. She had no idea, but if it's some community goodwill gesture it's not needed: they're the only game in town and non-profit to boot. Just a weird end to a weird week.

No comments: