Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Knowing Not the Abstract Truth

Ever think you know something and then discover you're an idiot instead? I consider myself a big jazz fan and quite knowledgable, particularly regarding Bop - Hard Bop. I love that it describes a particular time and place in musical history and shows off some wicked talent with wicked chops. So when I came across this... this... this brilliant shining gem that I had never heard of, I could only wonder where it had been all my life. It's not as if it's some obscure out-of-print recording. AMG describes one of the cuts, Stolen Moments, as the defining recording of the era. What? After listening, I gotta concur. It steams and rumbles; both tight and loose. While I guess I should be grateful that I found it, it's humbling to discover the high opinion I had of myself is a fraud. If, like me, you've missed it somehow, grab it. It is mighty, indeed.

click dat title
The Blues And The Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson, 1961

1 comment:

Baywatch said...

wow. never ever heard of that either. all those guys on one record? suhweet!