Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Comfort

You don't have to be a Foodie to understand the soul-stroking goodness of comfort foods. We all have our faves. Whether it's something mom (or dad) used to concoct or that perfect yummy from the corner cafe, or magic we've whipped up ourselves, comfort food is exactly what it's supposed to be; comforting. It can be good for us or bad for us. It doesn't matter, as long as it makes us feel better.

I have my own. I've been making it for nearly twenty years, cooking up a batch whenever I get the blues or just a craving for its hearty, happiness-inducing charms. With a good portion of the country still suffering the icy cold dagger of winter, and probably not a little SAD, I offer up my gastronomic wellbutrin. You can't eat too much of it.

Peppery Lentil Soup
  • 1 lb of lentils
  • 1 small onion, diced fine
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
  • 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
  • 3 tbl olive oil
  • 3 tbl cumin
  • 2 tbl paprika
  • 1 tbl oregano
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne or to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 qt of water
Put olive oil into a heavy stockpot or dutch oven over med-high heat. Add onion and saute until softened and slightly golden, about 10 min. Add garlic and saute for 30 secs. Add cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne and toast the spices for another 30 secs or until fragrant. Add lentils and stir thoroughly to coat with oil. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Allow to cook until lentils are tender, approx 45 mins to an 1 hr. Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

Serve with loads of crackers or crusty bread.

I have added pancetta or ham over the years but it seems to work best without the addition of flesh.

Warm up and feel better.

5 comments:

Bluestem said...

Made it! Like it! Added 3 shredded carrots!

arlopop said...

I'm glad you liked it. I hadn't thought of carrots but hmmmm...

rhonanon said...

My go-to soup for the last year or so is a Moroccan chickpea soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33764,00.html I usually make a double batch so we can eat it for several days. This is one of the few things I make that every single person in my family loves. It's delicious, fragrant, rich and hearty goodness.

arlopop said...

Rhonanon,
I thought you would remember the lentil soup. you were the one that made me make it the first time.

Bluestem said...

Made it again. Added celery and rutabaga. Yes, we had a spare rutabaga. What are the odds of that.