Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dough-NOTS

Years ago, when I knew nothing about cooking, I made calzones. Certain I had followed the recipe to the letter I was excited to take the first bite, knowing it would satisfy the deep craving I had nursed the entire day. When I took them, warm and perfect, from the oven, I discovered, first with a fork, then with a knife, then with a cleaver, that I couldn't cut the damned thing with anything short of a pickaxe. It was a disaster. It was with my hand on that rock of a calzone that I swore to learn how to cook, someday.

Carol Blymire has a great blog entry on her French Laundry at Home blog about making doughnuts. Ms. Blymire is attempting, in her own kitchen, to work her way through The French Laundry Cookbook, the finest cookbook of the last 25 years, making every recipe in the book. That is no small task in either time or effort. I recommend her blog, but in particular the doughnut entry.

Oh, and The French Laundry Cookbook? If you love food, even if you never make anything from it, get it. It is more than recipes. It is kitchen philosphy of the highest order.

If you can get a reservation at The French Laundry - and can afford the price (neither of which are within my abilities), do that too.

No comments: