Sunday, February 3, 2008

Bite Me

My daughter is getting a tooth. She has been doing this for two weeks now. Though generally ahead of the scale developmentally, she seems to be taking her sweet time in the dental department, relative to her brother. Nearly a year old, she has only been able to muster two on the bottom and a third on the top (and the slow-growing fourth next to it).

Her usually charming personality is absent. She cranks randomly and explosively. She takes a bite of her pureed sweet potatos and pureed apples and spits it out with a scream. She wakes hungry, pained, in the middle of the night, crying out as if she had been tased (Don't tase me, Dada). Two nights ago, in sleep-deprived desperation, I slept on the sofa. In short, even though I sympathize with her, I don't find her particularly lovable right now. I fear this will be the standard operating procedure for all her choppers and am filled with dread.

Is it ok to dread your children?

No comments: