Sunday, February 3, 2008

Snacks


The other day my wife was talking with her mother or father (I don't know which) during her weekly ritual of phone chats. I was in the kitchen and I overheard her detailing her disgust with an eating habit of mine. Unbeknownst to me until then, she apparently finds my love of peanut butter, and more particularly my habit of applying it to other foodstuffs, rather off-putting.

I snack. I snack most of the day. I am raising two children under the age of three and proper meals, other than dinner, are rare as a result. So I have turned to PB to satisfy my hunger and nutritional needs. I slap it on apples. I smear it on tortillas. I lather it on the old stand-by, toast. I enjoy it straight out of the jar. But most of all, I like it on crackers.



I grab the Laura Scudders Smooth, tear off the plastic safety wrap, open the lid, pour off the oil and stir that mess around. Then come the fat-free saltines, plucked from their milky opaque wrapper one-by-one, to be dressed up with a dollop of that nutty goodness. Sometimes I make a sandwich with two crackers. It gets me through my day and clean up is a breeze.

I bring this up only because, at this moment, as a cracker crumb settles onto my desk, my wife is leaving the room.

4 comments:

lendos_girl said...

Okay...it is not your constant consumption of peanut butter that gets to me, it is the items that you apply your peanut butter to. There is the pretzels dipped in peanut butter, wierd but not gross. Then there was the onion bagel with peanut butter, interesting flavor combination. But I think my favorite was the time that I watched you dip the knife in the peanut butter, sprinkle it with cinammon chips, and then lick off the knife. I love you darling, but sometimes you are just strange.

arlopop said...

thank you dear

rhonanon said...

Wait...you can buy cinnamon chips?? I gotta look into that. One of my favorite taste treats is to stir a tablespoon of peanut butter into my oatmeal. This seems to induce a gag reflex in some people but, to me, it's like a warm oatmeal, peanut butter cookie. I also love to spread PB on a banana as I eat it. Thanks, George Washington Carver!

lendos_girl said...

Don't encourage him!