Sunday, May 11, 2008

Eau D'Asparagus

Brunch with Moms, my children's and my children's mother's mother, or more clearly, my wife and mother-in-law. An ideal celebration of motherhood that might have been better only with the addition of my own. As they nap now, all the house, from kids to moms, I am left alone to ponder the effects of my brunch.

A side of asparagus on my plate that I most enjoyed. I like asparagus, but its lingering after effects I can do without. Why does it do that?

Well, it seems that there are compounds in the little stalks that the body breaks down, usually within 15 to 30 minutes after ingesting. One of those compounds, mercaptan, is sulpherous and that's where the smell comes from. According to Wiki, although we all make that odor, only 40% of us have the genetic good fortune to be able to smell it.

Lucky me.

No comments: